Conferences, meetings, events, and opportunities that may be of interest to the IS-GEO community are shared here:
- Reaching the IS community: IS-GEO members Vipin Kumar and Shashi Shekhar will chair a workshop on Mining Big Data in Climate and Environment in Houston, TX on Sat. 4/29/2017 as part of the SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM17).
- IS-GEO RCN kickoff meeting on Wed Jan 18 – Fri Jan 20, 2017 at UT Austin (Friday will be a half day). Check how to contribute here.
- Several poster sessions and lightning talks (see 1, 2) at the the 2016 AGU conference in San Francisco. Check more details on the related post.
- IS-GEO was very well received in the Advanced Information Systems and the Geosciences: Visioning the Future Session, on GSA 2016.
- Oral session at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting on December 17, 2015 in San Francisco titled “Intelligent Systems Theory and Application in Geoscience”, convened by Suzanne Pierce and Sai Ravela, with oral presentations from Pierre Lermusiaux, Shanan Peters, Victor Pankratius, Sai Ravela, Suzanne Pierce, Eva Zanzerkia, and Mike Seablom among others.
- Poster session at the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting on December 18, 2015 in San Francisco titled “Informatics and Intelligent Systems in Reproducible Geoscience Research”, convened by Suzanne Pierce and Sai Ravela, with sixteen presentations
- Oral presentation at the Geological Society of America (GSA) meeting on November 4, 2015 in Baltimore titled “Combining Knowledge in Intelligent Systems with Geosciences to Explore an Emerging Set of Research Opportunities” by Suzanne Pierce, Basil Tikoff, and Yolanda Gil
- Sessions at the Climate Informatics Workshop on September 24-25, 2015, including an invited talk by Imme Ebert-Uphoff titled “Knowledge discovery in climate science”, an invited talk by Yolanda Gil titled “Intelligent Systems for Climate Research: When Will Deep Learners Meet Deep Knowledge?”, and a panel on the topic “Encoding climate knowledge into climate learning”.
- Workshop on “Capturing Scientific Knowledge” at the ACM International Conference on Knowledge Capture on October 7, 2015 in Palisades NY, organized by Imme Ebert-Uphoff and Yolanda Gil, including a joint paper titled “Exploring Synergies between Machine Learning and Knowledge Representation to Capture Scientific Knowledge”
- Poster about the IS-GEO workshop presented at the EarthCube All Hands Meeting in June 2015 titled “Intelligent Systems for Geosciences: Ongoing Work and Future Research Opportunities” presented by Suzanne Pierce, Yolanda Gil, Shanan Peters, Sai Ravela, and Basil Tikoff